Saturday, November 6, 2010

Knitting has been happening, but I am working on Christmas presents at the moment so I don't feel I can discuss them in case the wrong person reads this.

I can talk about cooking, though.

My husband, Kosta, loves to cook. Luuuuuuuurves it, really. And he is damn fine at it. His big passion in life is being in the kitchen on weekends and making delicious messes which he cleans up by himself.

Yes, I know exactly how lucky I am.


This, for instance, is Shrimp Piraeus. It is a rustic Greek stew with tomatoes, pimentos, shrimp and scallops. Those white squares you see are melting blocks of feta cheese. It is served over rice and might just be the best thing I've ever had in my mouth.


But look at this. These are his lamb-kebabs he marinates all day and then skewers with onions and peppers before grilling to perfection. He makes an incredible yogurt sauce to go with this that can make a grown woman weep with pleasure.
Is this sounding sexual? Hmm... it wasn't on purpose. No one tell Dr. Freud. 



Did I mention he makes killer chili? 

He spends a lot of time in the kitchen because he loves it. He could spend all day chopping vegetables, searing meat, and making sauces. It's his thing. And while I like cooking too, I don't get to do it very often. But yesterday I did. He had to work while I had the day off. We finally got our first taste of cooler weather and I decided to make a hearty supper.



This is it. I made baked pork chops with apples and onions, garlic and Parmesan twice baked potatoes and glazed carrots. I was reminded that I am a damn fine cook myself even if I don't get the chance that often. I am a killer baker and can turn out cakes, pies, brownies and cookies like no one's business. I think I got my good cook genes from my grandmother who reportedly made the best cheeseburgers in Minneapolis way back when she cooked at the Crystal Cafe. I must be channeling her, because I seem to have an instinct, if only once in a while.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh YUM! But still it has to be said- you are awfully lucky.;)