Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm taking up the torch!

One of my favorite knitting bloggers (the Yarn Harlot) is once again hosting the Knitting Olympics, and I have decided to join the team. The object of the Knitting Olympics is to choose a project that will be challenging to complete. You are to cast on during the Opening Ceremonies (this Friday night!) and finish before the torch is extinguished. I am scared and excited.

I want to knit this:
It is called Flower Basket Lace Shawl, and I love it. I have always wanted a really pretty shawl, and I think I can tackle the pattern. Of course, I'm choosing a different color, because beige ain't my thing. I might do a pale pink, I don't know. I am going to buy the yarn tomorrow because (Hallelujah!) I have the day off.

I have also joined the Ravelympics at Ravelry.com. I will enter the same project there.

Otherwise, life is going on the same. Work is tough, time off precious, and knitting is great. After being engaged in knitting for a month here, I can really see the attraction. It is so meditative. I can sit and knit without TV, or music, or radio, and just be in the moment. This is a huge thing for someone like me who is a chronic worrier. Seriously. If worrying was an Olympic sport? Gold right here, baby. My poor little brain is more often than not turning things over and over, until my thoughts are as finely polished as tumbled rocks. Actually, I don't think the thoughts ever look that good. I am that person that will sit there and rework a conversation I have already had until it comes out to my satisfaction. I will spend hours coming up with things I should have said. And I will imagine future interactions with people, only they never come to pass the way I think they should. I ruminate...please send chocolate.

However, knitting does help with that. Every now and then I will have a night where my brain will not shut off, and I have to get up and read. If I don't I will toss and turn and fret that I am not sleeping. Perhaps in the future I can try knitting to quiet my mind. That might be nice.

All right. I am ready for my four day weekend now, please.

1 comment:

Beth Gallaway said...

I'll take one of those in grey... :D