Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ravelympics completed!

The Olympic officially ended last Sunday, and I finished my Ravelympics project on Saturday. My Kable needle case is complete, and currently housing my 14 inch needles. I am not as pleased as I had hoped. The cables came out lovely, and I like the colors, but the felting did not go as well as I had hoped. I followed the directions carefully too. Maybe I just need more experience with felting. In the directions it told me to weave a length of yarn down both long sides of the piece, and pull them up so they were sort of accordianed. And it worked - on one side. On the other, the yarn broke and the accordian unfolded, and the edge got all rippled.






I have to remind myself that I am still a beginner, and that these things will improve with practice. Which is difficult to do when another part of my brain is screaming, "No! Perfection! Now! NOW!!!"

Sigh. Sometimes being a Virgo isn't so great.

Here is some lovely yarn I purchased:


It is Crystal Palace Merino 5 superwash in the color Violets. (Apparently I am on a purple and green kick as of late.) It is pretty much sock yarn, but I am working on making a shawl out of it. I am using the pattern for the Cinema Shawl from the blog Superknitter. I am using size 9 needles instead of 10.5. I started it last Friday, and I am almost through three skeins of yarn. And what am I going to do? I am going to frog it.

Uch. Such a Virgo.

Why would I do such a thing? It isn't because I don't like the pattern. I do. And it isn't because I don't like the yarn. I certainly do. It is because of all of the stupid mistakes I have made so far. For Lord's sake, this is a garter stitch shawl, and I am dropping stitches all over the place. So now I am going to frog it, start over, and every time I find I have dropped a stitch, I am going to fix it. I need to learn how to do this skill. Si tonight, you will find me ripping up my flawed work to try again.


No comments: