Sunday, February 7, 2010

It is a week now since we have returned from Minneapolis. I am back at work (though blessedly, not today) and we are returning to our normal routine. I still feel like bursting into tears at weird random moments, but I figure that is healthy considering. This week was rather emotionally draining, and I am glad I finally have a day of rest.

We aren't actually home a lot, my husband and I. We work late on Monday nights, Tuesdays and Thursdays we are at our friend/writing partner Sarah's house working on scripts, Thursday nights my husband has a standing dinner date with an elderly friend. Fridays we usually go out for dinner to celebrate the end of the work week. And during tourist season (January - Easter down here) one or the other of us is usually working on Saturday. Yesterday that would have been me.. So Sundays are generally for relaxing and thinking about all the housework we should be doing. I am in charge of the laundry and I think there is a mutiny forming in the closet. How can two people dirty so many clothes?

Sunday mornings we usually make breakfast and a large pot of coffee, then read. Kosta is a nut for Greek history and usually surrounds himself with the book he is reading plus all of the other resources he needs to check foot notes. He is a huge nerd and I love him for it. I will most likely be found reading either historical or young adult fiction. I am thisclose to finishing Fire by Kristin Cashore. So good.


I have been working on a birthday present for my good friend Beth, which I finished and would love to post a picture here, but it will have to wait until after her birthday on the 15th. After I finished this present, I whipped up this cute little dishcloth I found the pattern for amongst my friend April's Ravelry projects. It knits up so fast, and it is totally useful, even here in Florida. I think I might make a bazillion of these. I bet they will make great stocking stuffer. (I know it is February. Shut up.)


I also finally have pictures of the teapot hot pad and coaster set I finally finished. I actually finished it before I got sick, but I never got around to taking a picture of it until this morning. I really set up the shot too. I photographed it outdoors on our lanai (that's Floridian for patio) because the light was good. I brought out a nice tablecloth and set up the set with the teapot and coasters. Well, you be the judge.


I mostly like it, but it was my first foray into felting. I did  the felting in the washing machine, and it took two runs through before it looked like it had shrunk enough. But I didn't think about weaving in the ends before I did it. I don't know why I didn't. I can't imagine weaving them in post felt. Silly me. Anyway, the loose ends got all tangled together and made the coasters pull out of shape a little. Most of them were able to be fixed, but some of them I think will have permanent over-pointy corners. Lesson learned.


Still, I am more or less pleased with the effort. Now let's see if I will ever use them. (My suspicion in the hotpad will be, but the coasters will go to the cupboard to die a slow death of neglect. Shh... don't tell them!)

I also took a picture of another project I made a few years ago. It was a scarf I was making for a friend who moved to Montana, but I lost touch with her before the scarf was ever completed. (Obviously we weren't too close -  I think it was more of an excuse to knit than anything else.) I found the scarf when I pulled out my knitting things in December. All I had left to do was put on the fringe and block it, which I did. Here is the finished product:



It was a simple basket weave scarf made out of purple yarn that if I remember correctly that half merino, half alpaca. It is lovely and soft with an almost magenta sheen to it when it hits the light. Well, it is something I can keep in my gift arsenal. (By the way, I just created my gift arsenal. There will be many dishcloths forthcoming to add to it.)

I didn't go back to Gabriella's Yarn Shop last week for the group knit. I was just too tired. (Still coughing a bit and all that.) I just sat on the couch, watched Bones and knit. I really hope to get back there next week. Lily the Maltese puppy must be photographed for your edification before she gets any bigger. Not that she will, being a Maltese, but she will lose her puppy cuteness. Weeks make a difference in Puppyland.

No comments: