Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Grandma Eileen

I haven't posted for a while because last week my grandmother passed away. I was home sick when my Dad called saying she had gone into the hospital, and that the doctors were saying we had better come. So I flew out last Tuesday and got to see her one last time before she passed in the wee hours of Wednesday morning. Her funeral was last Saturday, and I volunteered to speak a few words. The speech I gave is below.


My grandmother was wonderful and handwork of all kinds. She was a fantastic knitter, making me many sweaters as well as clothes for my dolls. She also crocheted, beaded, embroidered, and sewed. She was a remarkable woman. I inherited her large collection of knitting and crochet needles. Every time I use them I will think of her, and I will knit with the love she always did for me.




My grandmother was just sixteen days short of being on this earth 95 years. Woodrow Wilson was president when she was born, and she lived to see sixteen more men be sworn into the office.  She lived through two world wars, and the Great Depression. She had two boys, four grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren, two of whom just started college. It is a remarkable span of a lifetime.


I was fortunate to have my grandmother in my life for 35 years. As most of you know, she came to live with us when I was just a year old, and she was there with us until I was about 16 when she went to live at the Lilac Parkway Apartments. She has always been a part of my immediate family since I can remember. And when my mother went back to work she was the one who looked after me. She got me ready for school in the mornings, and was there after I came home from school. She took care of me when I was sick. I remember one time when she just wanted me to eat anything, and she sat there and mentally went through the entire contents of the kitchen until I was able to agree on something that sounded palatable. I think it was celery.

And even though she spent such a long time with us, she had a whole lifetime of memories and experiences by the time she reached her life with us. She used to tell me stories of her life as a little girl, and her grandparents and parents. Many people my age don’t know a lot of where they came from. I am rich in the knowledge of my heritage and family because of her.

Just like everyone, Grandma had challenges to face, some very difficult. Growing up in the Great Depression wasn’t easy for anyone.Grandma actually had to postpone graduating from high school so she could help work to support her family. She should have graduated in June of 1932. But because of her determination and independence, she graduated in January of 1933.

Obviously one of the greatest challenges Grandma faced was her paralysis. When she had her surgery in 1970, she didn’t know she would never walk again. And even though she spent forty years in a wheelchair, she didn’t let that stop her from living her life to the fullest. She travelled, she helped raise me, she lived on her own for the last 20 years of her life. She didn’t let anything stop her from doing what she wanted to do. I know that up until last month she was taking Metro Mobility up to Target to do her own shopping. She used to tell me that her father would tell her she was too darn independent. What a wonderful thing to be.

Grandma taught me many lessons in life. I know that even though deals hard knocks sometimes, it doesn’t do any good to complain. You just need to soldier on and get to the good times. She taught me that being independent is important. There is a certain pride and satisfaction in knowing you can do things for yourself. Crossword puzzles and reading keep the mind sharp. Always measure carefully when you bake.

I think the most important lesson she taught me was that it is always important to be kind. Warmth and sincerity are always the right path. And I think everyone here today can agree with me when I say that all these things made a great, great lady.


 I love you, Grandma, and I'll think of you every day.

No comments: