Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Obsession, part 2

There has been knitting, and lots of it. But it is secret knitting because it is for Christmas. So I'll go along and talk more about the writing process.

I've almost put the entire first book to bed. It has been edited three times, many spots reworked, some stuff added, some subtracted. As soon as the final polish is done it will be time to start working on query letters, a synopsis and an outline that prospective agents ask for.

I'm really excited and scared to death. I love this story. I love the characters, the plot, the action and the romance. I want to share it with the world.

What if no one wants to read it?

I know all authors and writers go through this. They pour out their hearts and souls into their work, they care for them like children, and want to believe that their baby is the smartest, prettiest and most talented of all. They hope and pray that when someone else looks at it they'll see the Gerber Baby and not something that looks like a miniature Winston Churchill.

The writing process has been interesting. The first draft, while a major accomplishment, is really only the first in a long series of steps. Rewriting is where all the hard work is done. I went page by page and looked at every word, every mark of punctuation and every sentence. Then I read it as a whole and looked for inconsistencies and plotholes. My husband (also a writer) and I are going through it chapter by chapter right now to give it a final polish. We have about 6 chapters to go.

Except for a small lapse of time when I was sick, I have been thrilled with the whole experience. Writing this novel has been the best thing I have ever created and I am so proud of myself. I always wanted to be a writer and up until last April, that's exactly what I was: a wannabe.

Now? I'm on fire. I started the second novel in the series Sunday night and have already completed the first chapter. I wish I could sit home all day and work on it. Maybe someday, I'll have that luxury, but for now? I'll just daydream like I used to do in school. Not very productive, but endlessly satisfying.

1 comment:

Jen said...

It's amazing what a tonic passion can be when you take it, even in very small doses through out the day. :) And I am so with you with the heart on your sleeve thing. It is soo hard but I think really worth it to have given something you've created to the world. It feels good. I am so so excited for you. And how sweet of your husband to be helping you!

PS:it's Louisa Harding's Grace hand-dyed. My mother-in-law picked it out. Have to say I love it. :)